For some reason this event is one I always measure and look back on each year to see how it is gotten easier and how my kids are growing up.
In the early years with young babies and toddlers it was an exhausting evening. Packing coats, hats, blankets, gloves and strollers was just the beginning. Once we arrived downtown we had to haul everything across the parking garage and to the restaurant.
Dinner was always a chaotic event. Carrying multiple trays of food to the table and pushing strollers through the line was the first part. Then, cutting up food for the kids, helping them eat and hoping one of them didn't have a tantrum or start running around the restaurant before we all had finished. I remember many years, barely having time to shove down my food before the kids got out of hand. There was also the worry that I would have to find a place to nurse Chase amongst the crowds as well. Been there. Done that too.
| Chasey at Temple Square |
Each year when we have gone though, I have looked back at the previous year. Soon, I wasn't nursing anymore. The next year, we only had 1 stroller and so on. Slowly but surely it has gotten easier. My boys now feed themselves and are responsible for their own clothes. Yea! I don't have to worry about tantrums and strollers. Yea! We can actually sit down and have a nice dinner and only tell Owen and Chase about 4 times to sit down and stop running around.
On the other hand as it has become easier for us, it has become harder for Scott's parents. Due to some health issues, Scott's mom no longer works in the temple and has a harder time getting around. We are so grateful for the time we have to spend with them and hope we can continue this tradition for many more years.

5 comments:
Thanks for this perspective. I am in that stroller/clothing/not-getting-to-eat phase. I appreciate the wake-up call.
That is a great tradition. I don't know why it is so hard for us to get there every year
It is good to have some events that measure time. Before long you will being mission boys because they will be on missions or in school. Savor the moments.
I loved your description of how it used to be. Our lives were so like that for so many years, it's hard to remember IF and WHEN things became easier. That's a wonderful tradition and we should try it with our grandchildren except our memories with our own children still seem like we haven't recovered from them enough to go through it again with grandchildren.
A great tradition! I'm sure your boys will always remember going with their grandparents every year to see the lights.
Post a Comment