Sunday, June 19, 2011

Making Some Sweet Moolah

The past two weeks the house next to ours has been in the Parade of Homes. I talked to Taylor about setting up a cookie stand and selling cookies to all the Parade goers. Since he wants me to register him for a fancy, expensive soccer team he was gung ho on making some money. Good thing too, because I told him he had to pay for half of the registration fee which is no small amount for an 11 year old to earn.

So we have baked batch after batch after batch of chocolate chips cookies. I lost count a long time ago. Last Saturday was the last day and we baked around 115 cookies for the day and sold every one of them.





We also figured out what sells well and what does not. Bottled water and lemonade were popular. Soda sold a little bit, but less than what I expected. I had the not-so brilliant idea to sell cartons of milk with the cookies. I mean who doesn't like milk with cookies? Not popular at all.

After I took out the cost of goods, he made plenty of money for his soccer registration and then some!



(blurry iphone pictures brought to you by Bennett)

9 comments:

Lisa said...

That is a great idea. Hopefully it wasn't too much work on you.

Crystal said...

You are a smart mom and your cookies look delicious. I would buy some.

Blogful said...

great idea! Way to go! What a smart "cookie!" Side note: Sharon was telling me that your home is super green and was a parade home once? Something like that? I'd love to learn more...

Blogful said...

PS: Can we get that recipe? Those look picture perfect.

bugnose7 said...

What a great idea. It kept him busy for awhile doing something good.

What Karen Sees said...

Good job boys!!!! We miss you tons!

Saratoga Six said...

Ok, I have spent HOURS this summer trying to find job opportunities for the boys, including this morning! It's really tough to find jobs for 12 year olds. What a great opportunity to be next door to a Parade Home so you can do that. Awesome!

janc@mac.com said...

I am so impressed. I love seeing kids take initiative. And they appreciate money so much more when they've put in the work to earn it.

http://elderwolfedr.blogspot.com said...

Great idea!!! His momma didn't raise no dummy! Hannah sells jerky and cheese sticks along with her cookies at the annual neighborhood garage sale at Grandma's house. They sell like hot cakes. Especially to the guys!