Thursday, September 24, 2009

Paper Decorating 101


This class was so much fun! It was very similar to finger painting for adults. Except we didn't use our fingers. My teacher taught us 3 different types of paper decorating. This one involved using walnut oil, coarse salt, watercolors, liquid acrylic inks, vinegar, rubbing alcohol, brushes, rags, droppers and a whole lot of "do whatever you want to do." Loved it!


With this one we took black sumi ink, made a design on the paper and then used water to wash it off with the intent to make the ink flow all over the paper and make new designs. This was the hardest to do. I don't think anyone got it right. But when you do get it right it looks beautiful! I must practice with this. I loved how it looked.



And last but not least was a technique called cooked paper. Except we didn't cook it. You take a very liberal amount of watercolor and cover your paper. Then you add a little walnut oil on the top to add depth, crunch it up in a ball and throw it in a tin can for 2 days to cook. I don't particularly like the colors that I used and I wasn't liberal enough with them, but I like the look. I will try again with different colors.

Why do you make your own decorated paper? One, because handmade, decorated paper is very expensive to buy. Two because you can make something unique for your book covers. And three because who doesn't like to play with paint?

I am working on 2 books right now and am planning on using one of these designs for a book cover and one for the inside of the other book.

4 comments:

Amber said...

Looks like a lot of fun. They are very pretty as well. Can't wait to see your finished product.

janc@mac.com said...

Fascinating. Now I want to read your books!

Lisa said...

You are so creative. I can't wait to see the finished products.

Saratoga Six said...

Ooo, we did this a little in the Alta High Art Dept. One of the funnest units we worked on with a tub of water, oil paints and turpentine. Then you dropped the paper flat down and then picked it up and there was the coolest swirls of color everywhere. SO much fun.