Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Now I understand

Don't you hate it when you have a guest in your house who suddenly asks if they can use your not-so-fresh bathroom? Why is it that it never happens the day that you have just cleaned? It is always multiple days out. Oh I hate it.

After that question comes all of a sudden I panic.

Crap. (No pun intended.) When was the last time I looked in that bathroom?
Oh please let there be nothing in the toilet. Or on the walls. Or in the sink.
Is there even toilet paper in there?


I really want to just ask them if they can hold it a bit longer, but I do have some manners. Instead I tell them where to find the bathroom with a warning that I can't guarantee cleanliness. Because I usually can't.

I can go in there and scrub the whole place down, turn my back around and within minutes it's an embarrassment again.

Way back when I lived with my parents, I remember my mom cleaning the guest bathroom a day before a party or get together of some sort. She would then put a sign on the door that would say something like this:

Enter. And Die.

I always laughed and thought that was a little extreme. Now I understand.



I did the same thing on Saturday before Bennett's baptism. I have learned that it only takes one boy going in one time and throwing his own little "pee party" to turn a clean guest-ready bathroom into a disgusting mess.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Wish we had a bathroom we could quarantine for guests. I loved the story that went with this, haha.

Lisa said...

Pee party...so appropriate:)
I think cleaning is a constant battle, I dont know how my mother kept up.

Saratoga Six said...

AMEN! I swear I have a bunch of puppies. My friend once laughed when I asked the same question and said, "I think I got all the pee butter scraped off..." Yea, when my boys move on I am probably going to have to gut that bathroom to restore it. And we've only been here a few years. Sad.