Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Monthly Menu


A year ago I took an organizing class where the presenter encouraged us to make weekly and monthly menus. I had been doing a decent job at weekly menus until the holidays came around and that faded into the background while we were decorating cookies and drinking eggnog.

Last month I decided to forgo the weekly and try a monthly calendar. Can I tell you that was the best decision I made last month? It took a total of 25 minutes to write the menu down and that included the 8 times I was interrupted.

Each day of the week has a type of dinner (beef, poultry, easy, Mexican, Italian etc.) which makes it easy to decide what meal goes on which day. I just pulled out my cook book turned to my recipe page that lists a lot my recipes by type (I organized this last year) and wrote them down on a day of the month.



Every morning the guesswork is gone and I don't go in circles trying to figure out what to make and what sounds good. It also makes grocery shopping a breeze. One quick look at my calendar and I know what I need to get for the week! This is a great idea.

4 comments:

What Karen Sees said...

When you kids were growing up I made many attempts at being organized, all failures!!! Oh well, you all turned out pretty well despite me!

Blogful said...

Great system! I still only plan a week out, but I LOVE your table of contents in your recipe book. That makes things a lot faster, I'm sure. I love your recipes, so feel free to share more.

janc@mac.com said...

What a great idea. I love it! I still go by what seems like it will taste good by the end of the day or which leftover needs to be eaten soonest before it spoils.

Sarah said...

That's great! I've wanted to do something like that forever, but haven't tackled it yet. I should because I know it would save me a lot of stress at dinner time.