Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Round Two

I am willing to admit that I was defeated by the Highland wind this spring. If I am lucky I will get a few peas and some tough spinach. The wind is brutal out here. However I have not given up the fight yet.

I wanted to build some sort of wind break that was cheap, but would work. At some point in the future we will have a fence surrounding the garden that will help immensely. But until then I had to come up with something else. So last week in my jet-lagged stupor I erected these domes over my boxes.



The idea is that when it is windy (most of the time) I will put some plastic sheeting over the new plants. I bought the sheeting in the paint section at Home Depot and cut holes in it. I am hoping that once my plants get bigger, they will be able to withstand the wind a bit better.



I also bought the pavers that you can see that are suppose to hold down the sheeting. However on the first trial run with only mild Highland wind, the pavers were knocked off the sheeting. Sooooo I went down to Lehi Block and bought some heavy duty triple weight pavers in their seconds area that seem to be doing the job.



It's not pretty, but I am desperate. I really hope this works.

5 comments:

janc@mac.com said...

It's amazing what people will do for a few fresh peas or beans. I'm impressed with your engineering. How did you cut such round holes in the plastic?

Kari said...

Yeah, I hope you get that figured out before I come out there. I'm counting on you.

Saratoga Six said...

That's a great idea! I hope the deer don't come by next...

Kristy E.B. said...

Wow, what effort and creativity for your garden! I sure hope it works out for you. I've decided that gardens are much more work than I ever thought! Who knew planting a seed could be so difficult?

Dangcutekids said...

This knocks the socks off of anything I could ever imagine. You're incredible. Hope it works and you get amazing things growing this summer!