Friday, January 8, 2010

Any excuse

It's that time of year again. Time when people vow to get organized and de-clutter. I didn't make that vow, but I love any excuse to go through my house and make DI happy. I don't tolerate clutter very well. Mess, yes....clutter, no. It makes me tense. I love closets with empty shelves and flat surfaces with nothing stacked on them. Give me a jam packed closet and a counter with papers stacked a mile high and I would have a dumpster filled in minutes.

Although this time around wasn't a huge purge, I did get rid of some choice stuff.

If this doesn't scream the 80's I don't know what does. Floral pattern, puffed sleeves, drop waist, bow on the hip and both shoulders. I loved it back then. My mom made this for me. Thanks mom, but it is time to go.



Years ago I made the decision that I would keep some of my dance dresses from high school and college so that my girls could play dress up in them. My mom had saved some of hers, one that I particularly remember was a gold sparkly thing and I thought it was great wearing it around the house. But since the girl thing never happened to me, it is time for them to go. I would be somewhat alarmed if any of my boys wanted to play dress up with these and I have no intention of putting them in our costume box next to the Star Wars capes. I don't want any drag queens running around the house, so I had best find them a new home. Interestingly enough all of these come from the same designer, Scott/Jessica McClintock. Sound familiar?



Now this is something I can't figure out why on earth I have kept for so long. It is the box that my ipod mini came in that I bought almost 4 years ago. There is no good reason why I still have the box, although I still use my archaic mini when I go running outside. I feel like I have a boom box sitting on my shoulder it is so outdated. Maybe it is time to upgrade.



This is the hardest thing I got rid of. The maps, trail guides etc. of all of the vacations Scott and I have taken in the past 5 years. I have scrap booked all the pix and these have just been sitting in a box. I took them out, stared at them, debated in my mind the reasons why I should keep them. I put them in the recycle pile only to pull them out and put them back in the box. Finally I asked myself "Are you ever going to look at these again?" Most likely not, and plus I can find it all online anyways. I put it back in the recycle pile, took a deep breathe and moved on.



Now which closet should I tackle next?

6 comments:

janc@mac.com said...

I take back everything I said about having similar diseases. You're way more efficient than I am. I did get rid of the Jessica McClintocks years ago but the maps(?), the boxes with original warranties (I know they expired years ago), and an heirloom dress made by Mom? You're really amazing. I admire you, Tiera. Please come to my house next time you run out of stuff to toss.

Lisa said...

Im so impressed with this blog and the last one. I know I have lots of boxes that I haven't thrown out for years. I may need to print this post and hang it on my fridge for some motivation to get my house in order.

Jessimama said...

Tiera, I don't want to upset you and maybe I'm superstitious but as soon as I read you had thrown out the little dancing dresses I immediately thought, "Great, she is pregnant with twins and their both girls!" I think that is my key to clutter I always think the minute after I throw something out I will need it. You're my hero!

Amber said...

Wow, I didn't know you kept all that stuff. Brought back some memories of seeing you in those dresses with your big glasses, and long pretty hair. ANyway, You can come to my house next!!! I think My closet is the one you should do next. Anyway I can't wait to see you guys. Take care. Oh and I have your Xmas gift, I just havent mailed it out yet. See I am such a procrastinator. I need some of your orginazition and go for it-ness. Love ya Sis!!

Sarah said...

Way to go. I cleaned out some stuff recently I have been hanging on to also, but not to the extent you did, guess I'll have to follow your example.

You can tackle my closet next! ;)

Saratoga Six said...

Hmm, tough call, all those maps. That's a lot of memories. But I feel the same as you about clutter. It's just more for the boys to strew around and more to take care of sort and clean up.