Where do I even start, how can I even describe this past week. It has been a week of roller coaster emotions. I can't even imagine what it feels like to loose a child. I have been horrified at what Jaron and Michelle have been through and my heart breaks when I think of the grief they must be feeling. I have pictured myself in their shoes over and over this week and I just can't begin to understand how one deals with such a loss. It is every parent's worst nightmare.
Through all of this grief I have been surprised at other feelings that I have felt. I was expecting this past week to be so completely full of despair, heartache and sadness that there would be room for nothing else. I was wrong. For every minute I felt sadness I also felt and saw hope and peace and laughter.
One of my favorite hymns is "How Firm a Foundation." A few years ago I decided to memorize it, because I love the words so much. I have been thinking of these words lately.
How firm a foundation ye strength of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in his excellent word!
What more can he say than to you he has said,
Who unto the Savior for refuge have fled?
In every condition in sickness in health,
In poverty's vale or abounding in wealth,
At home or abroad, on the land or the sea
As thy days may demand, so thy succor shall be.
Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.
We have a firm foundation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. When others despair we have hope. Gavin is Jaron and Michelle's forever. They will see him again and how great will be their joy when they can hold him in their arms. I suspect it will be greater than we can even possibly imagine. The Lord will never forsake us. He is there to strengthen us, help us and cause us to stand when we literally are unable to do it ourselves. Jaron and Michelle, I will be forever in awe of your strength, your faith, your hope and your laughter that you have shown this past week.
Sunday, August 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am very touched by your insight and love. I appreciate your faith and love for the gospel. I feel for your family so much. Our family knows your pain and your hope. May He bless you in this time of grief. Love, The Wolfe's and my whole family, The Dunlop's
Post a Comment